We all don’t have to venture far to find a ‘food desert’ — if you don’t have a car, it could be your own neighborhood. How far is the nearest store? what kinds of healthy food is available at 7-11, SuperAmerica?
Give yourself & the kids a terrific homework assignment:
- Walk or bus to the nearest corner store. How long did it take?
- Review the types of foods there. Guess ratio of ‘snack food’ to ‘meal’ food.
- Write down prices of loaf of bread, quart of milk, banana, apple, sandwich, can of soup.
- Compare those prices with prices at a large grocery store.
- Discuss how, if you were limited to the corner store most of the time, this would affect your lifestyle, health, time and finances.
Read IATP‘s new paper, “Healthy Food for All,” detailing strategies that corner stores from around the country have used to increase their selection of healthy foods, as well as recommendations for further actions. Only a 12-page PDF.