I’m offering a series of cooking classes at Inver Grove Hts Community Center. They are scheduled on three consecutive Thursdays from mid-Sept, to coincide with the mini- Farmers’ Market held in the center’s parking lot. Here are the topics & dates:
- Mobile Meals, Thur, Sept. 22, afternoon and eve sessions
- Heart-Healthy Whole Grains, Thu, Oct. 16, afternoon and eve sessions
- Power Up with Super Foods, Thu, Sept. 29, afternoon and eve sessions
- Gluten-Free Meals, Thu, Oct. 6, afternoon and eve sessions
CURRENT DDOW MENUS:
AUG 29 – SEP 4 (HOLIDAY WEEKEND)
1) Channa Chaat (Garbanzo Bean Salad). Vegan & gluten-free. A hearty entree salad with Indian-style seasoning and cukes, tomatoes, kohlrabi and green bell peppers from the farmers’ market, lime juice. Hungarian peppers give a little kick.
2) Kasha Pilaf w/ Walnuts, Cabbage & Celery. Vegan & gluten-free. Flavorful Indian-style pilaf that I’ve improved upon since making it repeatedly for a client with extensive food allergies. You can eat this room-temp or hot. Kasha is the common name for whole grain Buckwheat Groats. Buckwheat – a misnomer — is not related to wheat at all. See blogpost about Buckwheat.
SEP 5 – 11
1) Ensaladilla. Vegan & gluten-free. A repeat from June that I really like, this is an exuberant red potato salad w/ blanched green beans, red bell peppers, carrots, chopped pickles and capers in a mustardy vinaigrette. Basically a variation of Salade Nicoise.
2) Quinoa Gazpacho. Vegan & gluten-free. Gazpacho, a refreshing raw tomato soup, is an answer to the “over” abundance of tomatoes, cukes and peppers. I thought quinoa would be nice, too. It might be a soup or it might be more like salad — I haven’t decided. Please note, gazpacho and any raw tomato dish does not keep as long as my other salads, most likely b/c of the fruit’s high amount of sugars.
SEP 12 – 18
1) Zucchini, Green Bean & Lima Bean Cassoulet w/ Basil. Vegan & gluten-free.
2) Cabbage Salad with Roast Beets & Creamy Borscht Dressing. Vegan & gluten-free.
Coming up: Eggplant Casserole, possibly Moussaka which was a big hit last winter.