Lots of lean & green dishes on offer this coming month! The Green Tamale casserole this week was very green due to tomatillos, collards & spinach mixed into the black beans. You see how you can put collards into everything? It is a super food, remember, so half a cup is more nutrient-dense than other veggies. More of these greens coming this week and throughout winter.
Oh and btw, I put diced choy sum, a type of Chinese green related to Chinese broccoli (gai lan) in the Lentil Stew (2 weeks ago). Choy sum has thinner stalks and yellow flowers. Like many green leafy veg, it’s a cool weather plant and is plentiful at the market right now. Steam or stir-fry it and drizzle with sesame oil & soy sauce.
1) Roast Beets & Parsnips in Orange-Balsamic Vinaigrette. Vegan and gluten-free. Rutabagas too if they’re at market. Did you know that beets have 6 times more iron than carrots?
OCT 30 – Nov 6
1) Sauteed Cabbage & Edamame w/ Fennel Seed & Cranberries. Vegan and gluten-free. Yummy side dish that is both pretty to look at and easy to make. Kids should like this mild, sweet & sour dish.
2) Barley Pilaf w/ Leeks, Mushrooms and Thyme. Vegan; contains gluten. When it’s autumn I think “Barley”. Another comfort food.
Nov 7 – 13
1) Pumpkin & White Bean Soup. Vegan and gluten-free. You knew pumpkin was coming. Cumin & coriander will dominate seasoning of this pureed soup. Sprinkle with roast pepitas. I don’t usually puree soups, but I got a new immersion blender! :^) Btw, this is a very low-fat high fiber dish.
2) Spicy Cactus & Rice Salad w/ Lime & Cilantro Dressing. Vegan and gluten-free. Spicy pickled nopalitos come in jars or cans in the Hispanic aisle. Think pickled peppers. Celery & purple cabbage will add crunch.
Considering for the holidays: Sauteed Collards w/ Cranberries & Red Peppers is a gorgeous dish that will convert those who’ve had negative experiences with collards, and Israeli Sweet Potato “Rainbow” Salad.
If you’re curious about past menus, click on the Dish of the Week Menu Archive page! It lists all DDoW menus from the entire year.